What are probiotics?
Probiotics are defined as living microorganisms that, administered in the right dosage, have beneficial effects on health.
Several clinical studies with probiotics have confirmed its effectiveness in health and in the infectious and inflammatory diseases treatment and prevention.
Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are the most commonly studied probiotics. Lactobacillus leads to a beneficial effect on human reproduction and in the healthy activity of the urinary tract and reproductive system.
How probiotics influence the vaginal health?
Probiotics leads to a beneficial effect through three mechanisms:
- Reducing vaginal pH, so the habitat is unfavourable for pathogens and they cannot easily colonize.
- Producing substances that inhibit growth of harmful microorganisms.
- Producing substances that contribute to the growth of probiotic bacteria facilitating the vaginal health.
Why adding lactobacillus in supplements for female fertility?
The vaginal microbiota balance is crucial to stimulate the female reproductive health
The dominant bacterial genre in the vaginal microbiota is Lactobacillus. A daily dosage of this probiotic helps to maintain the vaginal microbiota healthy. When the vaginal microbiota decreases, the pathogens’ percentage increases, so it increases the risk of suffering vaginosis or vaginitis. Therefore, the use of probiotics can improve the vaginal health, and they can be the differentiating factor in reproductive processes.
What type of lactobacillus improves female fertility?
FertyBiotic Woman® incorporates Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus crispatus and Lactobacillus plantarum in its formulation
Lactobacillus rhamnosus works by blocking the bacterial growth and for this reason it is useful for the bacterial vaginosis, vaginitis, candidiasis and urinary infections treatment and prevention.
Lactobacillus crispatus increases the implantation rate, the success rate of pregnancy and the rate of live births.
Lactobacillus plantarum reduces the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and increases the presence of anti-inflammatory cytokines, correcting the induced infertility produced by infectious processes.
Why adding lactobacillus in supplements for male fertility?
Probiotics exert antioxidant and beneficial effect in male fertility
It is demonstrated that antioxidants improve the sperm parameters and it is the reason why specialists recommend dietary supplements with antioxidants in cases where abnormalities are found in a seminogram.
Probiotics are able to colonize the intestine, and they lead to beneficial effects, as the antioxidant effect. If we add the antioxidant power demonstrated by probiotics to the antioxidant power typically used (selenium, zinc…), we will achieve a synergistic and enhanced effect.
What is even more interesting is that, the antioxidant effect of the probiotics is prolonged over the time, which has not been the case with other antioxidants.
The antioxidant effect of the probiotics persists for much longer, even if the treatment is suspended.
Other antioxidants are ingested, incorporated to our organism, and they exert their effect, but whenever the intake is repeated on a regular basis. Nevertheless, this does not occur with probiotics. We intake probiotics, they colonize the intestine and live there, consequently its effect does not disappear after stopping the treatment as they are still part of the intestinal microbiota.
Recent studies not only confirm its effect over the time, but also assert that it is increased.
What type of lactobacillus improves male fertility?
The presence of Lactobacillus crispatus in fertile male semen is positively associated with its fecundation capacity, as this probiotic exert a positive impact over the spermatozoa concentration and morphology.
In addition, Lactobacillus crispatus has the capacity to maintain balance of the bacterial ecosystem in semen, which improves fertility.
– Lactobacillus rhamnosus has anti-pathogenic properties that contribute to the prophylaxis of urogenital infections.
– When an infection caused by Escherichia coli is produced, the sperm is agglutinated and an infection caused by Escherichia coli (bacteria) takes place in semen, exerts its action, Lactobacillus rhamnosus blocking the agglutination produced in the spermatozoa.
– The continuous intake of this Lactobacillus positively modulates the spermatogenesis
What are the benefits of probiotics on pregancy?
The probiotics play a beneficial role in reproduction and in the maintenance of reproductive health in women
The typical vaginal flora is characterised by a prevalence of the Lactobacillus genus, contributing to the creation and maintenance of a hostile natural environment on the attack of microbial pathogens.
During pregnancy, the vagina colonisation by Lactobacillus is an ideal approach to prevent infections and to maintain the balance of the natural microbiota.
The presence of Lactobacillus in the vagina guarantees the physiological balance of it, which results in numerous benefits for the pregnant woman:
- Prevention of urinary and vaginal infections produced by fungi or bacteria that cause discomfort, at times difficult to treat
- Risk mitigation of preterm labor and spontaneous abortions
- It confers benefits for the glucose metabolism, improving the situation in pregnant women who suffer from gestational diabetes
In addition, recent studies have demonstrated that supplementation with probiotics during pregnancy and lactation reduces the risk of allergies in children, consequently it provides positive effects in the mother and it has a positive impact on the future baby.
What are the lactobacillus that bring benefits to the pregnancy?
- This species is effective in the prevention of the abnormal vaginal microbiota development and in the modification of cervical parameters. This modification could be a risk factor for the premature birth (PTB).
- It has been demonstrated that the supplementation with this species significantly reduces the risk of gestational diabetes.
- During pregnancy, this species is able to reduce the mercury and arsenic absorption, which has deleterious effects on the neurological system of a foetus.
- Besides, it reduces the risk of allergic conditions in the newborn.
- As Lactobacillus rhamnosus does, it prevents the abnormal vaginal microbiota development, reducing the risk factors which can lead to a premature birth (PTB).
- It reduces the sensitization to allergens and the eczema in the newborn.
- It is effective for the prevention of the gestational gingivitis development.
Can probiotics be intaken during pregnancy and lactation?
NIt does not represent any risk and the intake is recommended.
Several recent researches have demonstrated that the supplementation with probiotics and DHA during pregnancy and breastfeeding reduces the risk of the child to develop allergies (eczema, food allergies, etc.)
Furthermore, it has also been demonstrated that the supplementation with probiotics contributes to the maintenance of breastfeeding and not to stop it. The probiotics reduce the bacterial concentration of Staphylococcus in the breast flora and contribute to restore the balance, allowing a more comfortable and healthy breastfeeding, and reducing the rate of recurrence in mastitis. So, this effect exerted by probiotics will be beneficial for the mother and her baby, as mastitis is the leading medical cause of early and unwanted abandonment of breastfeeding.
You can use this contact form of Fertypharm to manage your queries, suggestions or information requests in a faster and more efficient way.
HEAD OFFICE: EDIFICIO GEMINIS CENTER
Avd. Cortes Valencianas nº39 – 1ª planta
46015 Valencia, Spain
OFFICES: EDIFICIO SYNERGY
C. Joan XXIII, 10
08950 Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona (Spain)
+34 902 884 264